- There are three categories of ratings- deck, engine room and saloon (Catering). Deck rating is responsible for cargo handling, Mooring / unmooring and general maintenance of the ship.
- Similarly the engine room ratings assist the engineering officers in maintenance and operation of engines and associated equipment.
- The catering crew consists of Steward / Cooks and as the name suggests, they look after the catering and the house keeping.
- On successful completion of this Pre – Sea training, the candidates will be able to join as a RATING in Indian & Foreign shipping companies as a Deck Crew or Engine Crew.
- The G.P.Rating candidate will be able to work in all seamanship activities on-board at deck side and other work at Engine side.
- With further Sea-service, they will be promoted as DECK SERANG, BOSUN, Able-Bodied Seamen / Engine Fitter etc., They can also be promoted to officer Level with certain service and qualification requirements.
In the modern day shipping with reduced manpower, thrust has come on combined deck and engine rating. For this DG Shipping has made it compulsory to run an integrated course for deck and engine ratings. The course is named as General Purpose Rating (G.P Rating).
GP Rating is trained in both, Deck and Engine Room duties. They can be employed in either Deck or Engine department according to the needs of the company. Ratings work on the ship involves seamanship activities, cargo handling, maintenance work, operation and maintenance of machinery.
ELIGIBILITY (MINIMUM CRITERIA)
Pass with aggregate 40% marks in 10th Standard from recognized board with Science, Mathematics as subjects and with minimum 40% marks in English Language either in 10th, 12th OR diploma/degree exam.
AGE LIMIT : Between 17.5 years to 25 years on the commencement of course (On 1st January or 1st July)
VISION : No Color Blindness, 6/6 Vision in each eye. No Eye Glasses permitted.
(Passport is recommended at the time of application )
NO OF SEATS
Total No Of Seats : 40
Total Duration: 180 Days
Total Fees: INR 4,50,000/- (with food and accommodation)
INTAKE: January or July (Limited seats available) make your booking in advance.